Friday, June 14, 2013

CD: Erisa Rei - Black Ball

Erisa Rei
Black Ball
Gypsy in the Desert                  3:09 Black Ball 3:44Swing Back to Home         4:00
Like Dominoes 5:12
News to See                3:22Pushed                  4:33 To Bleed   3:57Cannot Change 3:17          Sojourn Band   4:46
Be Gone, Winter Long 6:01

Erisa Rei, this seems like the most palatable album I have to review. So, we will see. Gypsy in the Desert opens it up. It has that freewheeling, top down highway driving with the wind in your hair sound. I’ve been on many of those trips and can feel the music pulse through me with my foot all the way to the floor. So far it’s a great open.
            Black Ball comes up next, or should I say rolls up next. I gotta tell you the first time I saw the title I almost crouched over in pain thinking it was blue balls. After listening to it, now I get the idea. Lyrically, it brings the imagery of a pool hall and the eight ball rolling.
            Swing Back to Home slows the album down a bit. In my position I guess it brings about a feeling that should have ended a while ago. I’ve been laid up for almost a year now with no end in sight. Where the sweetness ended and the time to move on is tugging at your sleeve. Like Dominoes keeps it really mellow. Her voice is beautiful in this melody. It kind of brings about pictures of younger days.
            News to See begins to pick it up. I don’t know how to compare this. When it gets into the “News to See” refrain it really picks up. It seems like it’d be one of those songs you could really get into screaming out the refrain as it plays. Pushed really shows off her talent both lyrically and written. In the mood I’m in currently this song just fits.
            Cannot Change keeps up the same melodic sound, but then Sojourn Band just picks it right back up. I feel like I’m caught in an old Western. My six shooters firmly resting in the holsters at my side, my ten gallon hat new and me sporting a new Sunday’s Best as the tumbleweeds cruise by in the breeze.
            Finally, Be Gone Winter Long is a nice ending. It’s like saying a fond farewell to all the emotions brought out by the album.
            Overall, I liked the album. It had a nice mix of those emotionally draining ballads, as well as the upbeat songs that kept it together nicely. The last song really sums up the feeling of crossing that barren season of winter and cruising into spring. 

Jeremy Frost for Country Music News International
Posted in:

0 Kommentare:

Translate News, Interviews and CD Reviews

Google+ Badge

Google+ Followers

Magazine Archive

Powered by Blogger.